X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Font Size

Non ? un paese per vecchie moto...

I?m a motorcycle enthusiast, in my garage I have 2 Harleys and a Vespa that I love to wrench as I love to ride.
    Reading this article a thought came in my mind: if Fidel Castro banned any import of spare parts from 1959, how is it possible that Cubans are still able to have 120 harleys in running condition?
    The very possible answer is that industrial engineering has changed the design philosophy through the times.
    When equipments? reliability was low, like in the 50?s automotive world, failures and the possibility to recover them was part of the design. This included the abundance of common and non-proprietary parts, installation accessibility, and the possibility to recycle parts. The result was an affordable cost of ownership, mainly due to low spares cost and the possibility to perform repair by your own or by any mechanics if skilled enough.
    One of the common says of that time was: ?Harley Davidson, turning rider to mechanics since 1903?.
    In nowadays world equipments? reliability is high, but if a failure occurs then it has to be mostly assessed through proprietary diagnostic tools. Most of the time the identified failed items are sealed and the only possible repair is a costly replacement. If the required spare is obsolete, then you?re in deep trouble.
    The result of such policy is the abundance of ?box changer? in the support chain, highly expert in diagnostics but unable to effectively perform any troubleshooting and repair out of the standard checks. The almost impossibility to perform any maintenance activity by your own and the astronomic cost of full parts instead of components replacement are now carrying potential young customers away, so motorcycle consumers are aging and disappearing. A second effect is that customer satisfaction and confidence among users are at the lowest, to the point that the common naming of motocycle ?dealers? has become ?stealers? in many cases. The fact that man/hour costs are intended to be at ?rockets scientists? level not matching the real operators? skills and performances is a factor as well.
    The practice seems to be shared in any industrial environment, are we then sure that a design and support policies tune-up is not needed?

• Font Size
    Dimmi che hai scritto tu in inglese e non si ? tradotto da solo..

Comment

• Font Size
      PS... non ? che le Harley nuove.. siano davvero nuove... ah,ah..

Comment

• Font Size
        Dai mettete la traduzione x i poveri cristi come me

Comment

• Font Size
          la risposta ? NO. Inutile perdersi in chiacchere, anche perch? non ? vero che i giovani non amano pi? i motori perch? non ci possono mettere le mani personalmente.
          Pariamo dall'inizio ... se hai 2 HD e una Vespa in garage non vuol necessariamente dire che sei un vero motociclista, al limite pu? voler dire che ti piace trafficare sulle moto, come del resto chi scrive ammette.
          E del resto anche chi come me ? un vero motociclista (anzi meglio un vero appassionato di motori, ? una delle poche cose di cui sono sicuro) pu? anche non aver nessuna intenzione di mettere mano personalmente ai propri mezzi..

Comment

• Font Size
            Io al massimo ho cambiato la candela al cinquantino ai tempi.
            Di moto ne ho avute e le mani ce le hanno sempre messe i meccanici. E credo di essere motociclista e appassionato.Quindi concordo con Filotto.
            Piuttosto, siamo sicuri che le Harley cubane abbiano ancora i loro motori originali?
            Da quello che mi risulta le famose auto "americane " che girano a Cuba dagli anni 50, spesso sotto al cofano hanno motori Peugeot, Isuzu, SsangYong ecc, molti addirittura diesel.
            Insomma, vedi una Pontiac, una Eldorado, una Bel Air, e quando parte invece del rombo del V8 ti ascolti il borbottio del furgoncino del panettiere sotto casa.

Comment

X
            Working...
            X